A strike is a last resort. With stagnant wages just above minimum wage and family health insurance premiums at $6,000 per month (yes, per month), these workers had enough.
Please show your support for these strikers, who are members of SEIU District 1199NE, as they enter the second month on strike.
Here are three ways you can help:
- Donate to the strike fund. Strike assistance, food, picket signs, transportation to take action...in all, the basic necessities of a strike this size will cost tens of thousands of dollars each week. Click here to donate securely through PayPal.
- Donate food, toiletries, gift cards, or monetary donations to purchase food. The United Labor Agency, the community affiliate of the Connecticut AFL-CIO, is organizing food pantries for the strikers. You can drop off food or supplies in Hartford (22 Orange St) or Rocky Hill (56 Town Line Rd). Alternatively, you can send a check to the United Labor Agency, 56 Town Line Rd, Rocky Hill, CT 06067 with SEIU on the memo line.
- Walk the line with the striking workers. Your solidarity brings renewed strength and energy to the strikers. Join the line from 7-9 AM or 2-7 PM. And feel free to bring your kids!
Picket line locations:
- 80 Whitney St, Hartford
- 474 Rt 87, Columbia
- 729 Montauk Ave, New London
- 116 Hawkins St, Danielson
The Connecticut AFL-CIO will be with the strikers and 1199 every step of the way! We'll fight one day longer and one day stronger.
Thank you for any support you can provide the strikers!
Ed Hawthorne, President
Shellye Davis, Executive Vice President